Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Like A Good Neighbor



I can hear the jingle of that popular insurance company TV commercial in my head.

We had three new families move into our neighborhood over the past year or so. We have made it a point to introduce ourselves and welcome them to the neighborhood. They seem like nice people and by all accounts they seem like they will fit right in to our neighborhood dynamic.

I remember as a kid how people came over to welcome us when we moved in and brought us cookies or something. I can remember most of those neighbors even today. Man, times sure change.
Our new neighbors today seem to want to be left alone. When we see them outside they rarely look up or make eye contact. When we pass in our cars on the street they don't wave. I think, "How rude! Not very neighborly!"  Then I got to thinking, what does it mean to be a good neighbor? Let me offer these points:

- Does a good neighbor expect others to look up and say hi or does a good neighbor respect the fact that others may want to be left alone?
- Does a good neighbor expect others to keep the noise down or is a good neighbor one who doesn't constantly complain about everything?

I could go on and I certainly have my own opinion. The bottom line is we are all different and have our own expectations of other people. We generally expect others to be like we are...that doesn't make us right. The true test of character is who we are modeling ourselves after. Are we a reflection of Christ or are we a reflection of the world?

What kind of neighbor are you?

Jason Pugh

No comments:

Post a Comment