Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Seasons



Seasons come and go in California, and elsewhere for that matter. We celebrate holiday seasons. We celebrate spring with all of its fresh rains, its beautifully changing scents and visions, and the moderate temperatures that enliven our activities.  We even celebrate the passing of the summer heat as it gives way to a stormy, cold winter. Well, we would if we had had a winter in Southern California this year.

However, there is a season that many don’t seem to enjoy. It’s labeled as Tax season. It is in full swing. It has nearly run its course. It seems to have reached its April deadline at a neck-breaking pace.

Some have raced to public accountants to meet deadlines. Others have braved the ancient pencil and paper method, pulling the kitchen chair up close to the dining room table and spreading out the contents of dilapidated shoeboxes, only to find that they are having difficulty assigning memories to restaurant receipts in hopes that they are deductible expenses.

Yet others, familiar with technological advances, download popular software that allow for the ease of completion through a series of point and click movements. No matter the method, we are eagerly seeking every credit and deduction due us.

When the bottom line is calculated, we cross our fingers or say a quick prayer that we are getting a refund and not contributing further into a tax system that we may or may not care for. Then, the moment of finality has arrived. “I owe!” Or maybe it’s, “I owe?” Either way it’s phrased, you owe.

I often wonder about the thoughts that raced through Christ’s mind. He knew his purpose and exactly what the outcome was to be. There was no anticipation of what the bottom line would be when all items were taken into account. Jesus didn’t exclaim, “I OWE!” or “I owe?” 

He went in eyes wide open. He paid a debt not His own. A complaining spirit did not arise within that expressed bitterness toward those that were in need of His payment. He willingly paid with His life. And for that I am eternally grateful.

For me, I have nothing in life to complain about. I am deserving of death. If I am afforded some comforts and stability in life, then that is a bonus. Romans 6:23 proclaims:
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I have been made alive in Christ. I have been redeemed and I will rejoice through every circumstance in life.

Pastor Rob King


No comments:

Post a Comment