Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Guys Night



Small group season started back up again. This means that Tuesday nights, Bekah (my wife) will be attending her small group. This also means Parker, (my two year old son) and I get to party like its 1999.

To begin our evening we all have dinner together. Then Bekah heads to her small group and Parker and I storm the backyard. We run outside, racing the sunset, trying to have as much backyard time as possible. Parker goes straight to the toy bucket and dumps all of his toys in the grass. He grabs his dump truck and a shovel and heads straight to the dirt.

Meanwhile I walk to a lawn chair and take a seat. A little time goes by and the dump truck is full. Now Parker and the dump truck are on the move. You can almost hear the gears turning in Parker as he tries to find the perfect place for this small pile of dirt. He stops at the ladder to the slide and pauses.

“Daddy!!!!” he says.
 “What’s up buddy?” (is my response).
“Slide…Up…Truck” (Parker tells me).
“Do you want me to put your dump truck on the top of the slide so you can roll it down?”
I ask.
“Yeahhhh,” he tells me with a big smile on his face.

I walk over and put the dump truck on the top of the slide for him. He climbs up and shoves the dump truck with all the dirt down the slide and says, “Uh oh …crash.”

These type of shenanigans continue for most of the evening. We stomp on the ant hills, and throw rotten oranges that have fallen off our tree, and slide just about every back yard toy down the slide. All of the stuff that mommy may have tried to discourage.

As the sunset begins to win the race we put our toys away and head inside for a bath, story time and bed. This concludes our guys’ night.

I’m so thankful for these times.

Austin McLeod


No comments:

Post a Comment