Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Monday, June 30, 2014

Mercy: Not paying the penalty for our sin



For the most part, I would classify myself as a good driver. Of course that depends on my mood when I get behind the wheel. But all in all I’d say I’m pretty safe. In my 28 years of driving I have never been pulled over or received a ticket. That is, until a few days ago.

I neglected to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. To my dismay, a motorcycle cop was there to witness my criminal act and dutifully pulled me over.  When asked why I didn’t come to a complete stop, I told the truth: I was too busy talking with my son (who was in the car) and wasn’t paying attention.

He took my license and registration, filled out the ticket and brought it over to me to sign. However, instead of signing a piece of paper condemning me, I signed a piece of paper releasing me.

He had offered me mercy and sent me on my way with a warning. I was relieved and humbled at the same time. Relieved that I wouldn’t have to deal with fines and traffic school; humbled by the fact that I deserved to deal with fines and traffic school but was forgiven of my transgression.

Does this story sound familiar? It should. After all, it’s an allegory of the amazing mercy and grace given to each and every one of us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

We are all guilty. We deserve the penalty for our sin, but in His loving mercy, Jesus sets us free. He paid the ultimate price so that we wouldn’t have to.

Why? Simple. He did it for love.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”  John 3:16

Dina Pugh

No comments:

Post a Comment