Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

There Are No Throw Away Days




  Do you ever have those times in your life where you have something unpleasant that you have to deal with but you’d rather not? Like maybe an upcoming medical procedure, or confronting a friend who hurt you, or filing your taxes. We all have things, whether planned or not, that come into our lives that we would rather ignore.

  When I have something unpleasant on the horizon, I find myself first of all dreading it, then wishing it would go away, then finally when it gets here I just want the whole day to pass quickly so that I can be done with it and move on to the next day. Kind of like making the day into a throw away day.

  But when I throw the day away, I’m not only throwing away the bad parts I don’t like, I’m also throwing away all the good parts. When all I can focus on is the thing I want to ignore, I end up blinding myself to God’s goodness around me. And believe me, no matter what a day holds, there is always God’s goodness to be found. Our attitude determines whether or not we see it.

  Even if we are facing the most horrendous and painful day and there is no joy to be found, we are still handed the good gifts of grace and mercy. We may be having a difficult day, or two, or three, or four, but our lord and Savior did the unimaginable for us. The day Jesus faced (because of us) is a day that changed all other days, past, present, or future. We haven’t a clue really as to what God has done on our behalf. That day on the cross marked the beginning of every single one of our days being filled with grace and mercy.

  So if grace and mercy are all you can find in your day – it is enough – and it is to be celebrated, not thrown away with the rest of it. I’ve learned now that because of grace and mercy there are no throw away days.

Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. 
They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23 (Emphasis added)

And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.
John 1:16

Dina Pugh


No comments:

Post a Comment