Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Monday, February 17, 2014

Temptation!



I had a topic all picked out and had supporting scripture and then I heard Pastor Steve speak some amazing, eye-opening truth.  His message, "The high cost of low living."  I specifically identified with the story of Samson.  A chosen man blessed by God, who sins carelessly fully knowing he had been selected by God. 

So immediately I go to the, "How many ways am I NOT like Samson?"  After a couple seconds I move to the obvious and asked the question, "How many ways am I like Samson?"  I spent a considerable amount of time pondering this side of the question.  One common denominator that kept standing out to me was the correlation between Samson being blessed, yet, still sinning and how I live my life.  And that other little, tiny, thing... Am I living right (righteously) for God?  Oh man this would having me thinking and praying the rest of the day.  

If there is one thing I know, it is sin.  So this epiphany had me at a wait a sec. moment.  I tithe, I'm a good guy, I'm nice, I volunteer.  Wasn't this enough?  And then, Sunday, through Steve's message, I realized what I give is not enough.  I have committed to doing things but I have not completely surrendered!  I have not submitted my life to God.  I am too susceptible to temptation.  So how do I change this?

There is only one way to beat the temptations of this material world.  To give my life completely to God and to live by His will.  Doing so will require me to guard myself.  Again referring to Sunday's message, I believe Pastor Steve gave us a method that will yield success: 

Guard your eyes.
Guard your desires.
Guard your heart. 
Guard the patterns and habits you allow in your life.

I perceive this as a roadmap for all of us who struggle with all kinds of temptation.  

My last thought to ponder is, "Why do we continue to sin knowing it is wrong?"  I believe Pastor Steve said it best yesterday- 
"We give up heavenly treasures for earthly trinkets."  What am I giving up in heaven -- betraying a loving father who gave 
His son -- for my earthly desires?  

God bless you,
Ben Linares

No comments:

Post a Comment