Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why Worry About It?



Tonight as I was driving home, my cell phone rang. It was a number I did not recognize. With all those telemarketers and such, ignoring the “No Call List,” I have just found it easier to screen those types of calls. Besides, I try never to answer the phone while driving. However, I will pull off the freeway to answer calls that may be important.

After pulling off the freeway and stopping at a restaurant to grab some dinner, I checked the voicemail that was left for me. It was the manager of the apartments in which I reside. That’s never good. The manager stated that she would like to talk to me about another tenant, a neighbor, at my earliest convenience. I’m thinking, “My earliest is right now. I want to know what’s up.” So, I returned the phone call. Unfortunately, she had already left and I had to leave a message. Let the worrying commence.

Many things began to run through my mind. We are quiet and respectful neighbors. We smile and wave at everyone we see. We don’t throw wild parties. I even throw their child’s ball back over the fence. What could it be?  Do they have an issue with the company I keep? Are they complaining because of the low noise level I keep while we are hanging out on the back patio, which is near one of their windows?

I was anticipating all the possible reasons for the phone call, and all of my possible responses. Boy, was there a multitude of ideas. Finally, at 8:30, the manager called back.

After we spoke, I realized I had worried for nothing. The manager said the tenants were concerned because there was a lot of banging noises coming from my garage at night. It happens to be a shared wall to their child’s bedroom, and the noises make it hard for them to sleep. I assured the manager that I was not in the garage making noise at 2:00 AM.

And because the manager knows us fairly well, she knew there had to be another explanation. There is. It is the hot water tank. Calcium build up causes that tank to sound like the Fourth of July in my garage. Every once in a while I would yell out, “Incoming!” Trust me, it is that bad.

Matthew 6:27 states, “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his life span?” Worry gained me nothing. It did not turn out to be anything of major consequence. On the bright side, I might be getting a new hot water tank.


Pastor Rob King

No comments:

Post a Comment