Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Distractions




I had a bit of a scare this week. Well, maybe more of a "what was I thinking?" moment.

Our sons and a friend were using the jacuzzi Saturday night. As is typical when the spa is used 
the water level recedes quite a bit. This happens when they get in and out of the jacuzzi, as well as evaporation. 


When I got up Sunday morning I noticed the water level was lower than normal. So, to help the auto-fill process along I put the hose in the spa for a few minutes before we left for church. The water level was so low it didn't make much of a dent. So I turned off the water and away we went to church.

When we got home from lunch after church the low water level was bugging me! So I turned the 
hose back on. A while later we took off for Matt's football game.

Monday morning came and I got up early to go workout. Everything was cool. I got home and was 
having a bowl of cereal when I had that "oh no!" moment. I looked at the pool and the level was at the top! It was close to spilling over out of the pool. I had forgotten to turn the water off when we 
left for Matt's game! I'm going to hate getting that water bill next month.

We let distractions get the better of us too often. I don't remember what distracted me...probably the 
Angels game or thinking about final preparations for Oasis Nights but I don't really remember. 

The bottom line is that everyday distractions get us off track when it comes to our relationship with the Lord too. Much like the water level rising in my pool, we let all of the junk of everyday life rise to an unmanageable level sometimes. The way to reduce that level is to turn off the water...in other words, give all of that junk to God.

The Bible even tells us to give all of our cares to the Lord, as 1 Peter 5:7 tells us: 

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

Now, if only that verse had come to mind on Sunday afternoon...

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment