Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Monday, May 26, 2014

Contemporary Christian?



I love Christ and I love music so I love Christian music. I also love music by Christians that may not fit the Contemporary Christian music category. There are two Christian artists I love to listen to that some of you may not have heard before, so check them out!

Josh Garrels is an independent artist from Oregon. I first met Josh when he played a show at Redlands High School for homecoming. His music was described as, “Folk, neo-soul, electronica;” that didn’t help. I began to understand that this “beyond-category” artist makes the kind of music that he loves. What hooked me were his lyrics. 

Pulling from biblical imagery, he sings of the struggle we all face to get closer to God. His most recent album, “Love and War and the Sea In Between,” includes a track titled “Ulysses” that has comforted me through many difficult struggles. You can watch the video for “Ulysses” here: http://youtu.be/JVQ_gAVNEpk

Another artist I appreciate is David Eugene Edwards. His current band, Wovenhand, includes some of the artist from his previous band, 16 Horsepower. David has been recording for twenty years. His lyrical style is haunting as he expresses his love and appreciation for his creator. 

I’m not sure how to categorize Wovenhand. They could be described as a rock band, but their music and their message push much deeper than normal rock anthems. Their most recent album, Refractory Obdurate, is available on Spotify. But be warned, David is a zealot and can be very confrontational and challenging in his lyrics and music. You can watch a video of Wovenhand here:http://youtu.be/2e3vLaHt7yY

Kevin Bibo

No comments:

Post a Comment