Oasis Church

Oasis Church

Monday, June 2, 2014

Life Lessons From Green Beans



In an earlier post, I mentioned that I enjoy gardening. I was very excited to plant my garden this year because I bought one of those raised garden kits from The Home Depot.

Not all of my vegetables fit into my new setup, so I ended up planting my Blue Lake green beans in an extra large flowerpot. Being a type of vine, I also placed a trellis next to it so that it has something to grab on to as it grows.

Everyday I found it so fascinating to watch my young green bean plant extend one of its vines in search of something to anchor itself to.

I couldn’t help but notice the correlation between this small plant’s need to reach for something to secure itself to and our own need to reach out to God and secure our lives to Him.

I would love to tell you that my green beans are thriving. I would love to say that because they are securely anchored and cared for, all is well.

But that’s simply not the case. Unfortunately for my green beans, snails have continually descended upon my little plant and have mercilessly eaten away its vines that once held strong.

Isn’t that so much like our own lives? We think we have a firm grasp on God and along comes our ruthless enemy, with his lies and temptations, trying to break our connection with our Lord.

So do we give in to our enemy and give up? Or do we resist him and hold that much tighter to God? I say, “Don’t give up! Don’t let the snails win!”

Do whatever it takes to stand against the enemy and no matter what, keep reaching out to your strong Anchor.


Dina Pugh

No comments:

Post a Comment